DIY Gift Idea: How to Make Wax Melts
Sep 27, 2018 - by Reginald the Cat
This gift idea is a simple and beautiful homemade craft project that you can gift to friends and family for the holidays.
Are you looking to save money over the holidays but still give something extra special to your friends and family? These hazelnut scented hearts are the perfect gift idea. The surprising thing is, they really aren\'t difficult to make!Spread the Love
- Microwavable Soy Wax: Candlewic Natural 415 Soy Wax (3 Pound Bag)
- Silicon Heart Mold: Wilton Easy-Flex Silicone Heart Mold, 24-Cavity for Ice Cubes, Gelatine, Baking and Candy
- Kitchen Thermometer: Cooking Thermometer, Habor UPGRADED Meat Thermometer Kitchen Thermometer Instant Read Thermometer with Foldable Probe for Food Baking Liquid Meat BBQ Grill Smokers
- Red Color Square: Red Dye Squares from Hobby Lobby
- Hazelnut Candle Fragrance: 1 oz Candle Soap Home Fragrance Oil-Hazelnut Coffee
I tried this project twice and it wasn't until my second attempt that it was successful. The most important part of this project is that you use the thermometer and make sure the wax is at the correct temperature before mixing the scent and color. If the temperature is not at 185 degrees F (85 degrees C), the color and scent will not mix correctly with the wax.
Let's Start Crafting
Using a microwave safe bowl, melt about 8 ounces of soy wax in the microwave. Start by microwaving the wax for 45 seconds on high. If the wax looks melted, check the temperature with your kitchen thermometer. If the temperature does not read 185 degrees F (85 degrees C), microwave for 20 more seconds and check again.
If the temperature is too high, leave the thermometer in the wax and watch until the temperature gets to about 190 degrees F to start mixing your color and scent.
For strong scented wax melts and a deep red color, use about 0.5 ounce (half of a 1-ounce bottle) of your hazelnut oil and 2 squares of color cubes.
Pour & Chill
Pour the mixture into your silicon molds and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to an hour. Carefully remove the melts from the silicone mold and package in clear plastic bags as adorable gifts.
Decorate the bags with ribbon and a cute handmade "Love" tag.